Saturday, September 19, 2009

Polar FT60G1 Good as a training computer

I loved this product at first. I researched it well and knew exactly what I was getting. I compared the Garmin to this one and they are not meant for the same purposes. I have bad asthma and was training for a half marathon. I wanted to be able to go out my door and run in any direction and know how far I went. The Garmin is great if you want to track your routes, upload the data and don't mind something bulky on your wrist. This watch has a more comfortable chest strap that you can put in a washing machine and clean. The "OwnZones" checks your heart rate before exercising and judges your heart rate zones based on how cardio tired. This helps prevent over training.

The training program allows you to set goals (weight loss, improving fitness, or maximizing fitness) and creates a program to fit your needs. This does not mean it says bike this long, run this long, etc. Instead it gives you a weeks worth of timing in each heart rate zone that you should do to meet those goals. Doesn't matter what activities you do. There are no special bike attachments or anything.

I took my watch with GPS out a couple times with my bike and bike computer. The distances on the bike computer and the watch were only 0.1 miles different from each other. This is similar to what friends get with their Garmin. However, I live in a desert and don't have a lot of trees to contend with.

Pro's:
Easy to pack in suitcase to take on travel
Comfortable chest strap (even for women)
Chest strap machine washable and recommend to be washed every 5 workouts.
You can change all the batteries yourself
Since the battery isn't rechargeable, you can wear the watch anywhere.
Attractive watch to wear around
Good accuracy on the GPS
Training program helps you avoid over training

Con's
Doesn't have a spit timer.
Have to buy the foot-pod separately for track workouts
Have to buy the data link if you want to upload to computer directly
Data link only works on MAC's with Intel processor (or any PC)
Doesn't allow for you to map the route you did

The reason I said at first that I loved the watch at first is because I seem to have gotten a watch with a glitch. However, when I called customer service I got a person right away that was friendly and willing to help. They helped me reset the watch and tried it again. The problem happened again so I have sent it to Polar under warranty for repair/replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment